Wednesday, March 16

They Knew How To Dress A Window

I worked near George's Shoe Store on Main Street in Hazard and everyday I had occasion to go by the business several times. I stopped and gave his shoes a big "Double O" (as Frankie Avalon said in one of his movies, a "double O" is a big "once over" to see what had been added or taken away. I was a on the spot shopper and if a pair of shoes in his window hit my fancy, I'd count my extra cash and if I was so endowed I would go in and get what I wanted. Sometimes I would put the old ones in a box and wear the new ones out. That way I was assured most of the time that no one would notice I had on new shoes. George Kawaja and his staff knew how to dress a window for shoppers, no doubt about it. I remember a lot of times seeing his wife, and the children would play around inside. It was a store to enhance Hazard's Main Street.

6 comments:

  1. .....so many hours, days ...spent doing those windows! It had to be perfect for Mr. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! We've gotten so many wonderful messages and gone down memory lane with lots of friends and customers. It has been lots of fun!
    Thanks so much!! Sharri Kawaja Greer

    ReplyDelete
  3. mr. k gave me my one and only lesson in sales it goes like this"sit down and let me tell u how to sekk, if lady walk in and want a red shoe and u not have it, then sell a purple shoe, they come in to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this store well. Taking a trip down memory lane tonight. I grew up in Perry County. My dad was a dj on the radio station. Sadly, he passed away when I was 13 and I don't remember ever listening to him. I would love to have just a clip of his voice.

    ReplyDelete