Wednesday, March 10

Keep Your Heels Warm

With about nine inches of snow, the wind is howling, I am beginning to think like Roy Baker, makes a man think what he has done with his summer wages. White Jim Combs says he remembers a winter similar to this and he recalls my grandmother's sister, Aunt Isabelle Feltner. It seems that she had some great big gals, it was getting close to milking time, Aunt Isabelle was worrying about getting the milking done. It seems that the girls were backed up to the fire, picking up first one foot then the other getting them warm. Aunt Isabelle was becoming impatient. She blurted out, "I don't know what has come over you girls. If you don't have enough heat in your hind-parts to keep your heels warm, I don't know what is going to happen to you." I know that many of you can remember those days when it was hard to get started to the stable to feed the stock and milk. I often wonder if the younger generation hasn't had it too easy, or maybe the old folks sorta eased off with the modern times and inventions that made all our lives a little more convenient. 1960

No comments:

Post a Comment