Sterling Hardware Company opened on Main Street in Hazard on June 30th 1916.
E.P. Phelps was manager of the Philco Department at Sterling Hardware. He was replaced by Rex Farmer in 1952 who was also manager of the furniture department.
Frank Medaris joined the company in 1946. He lived at Harveyton where he was president of Harvey Coal Company.
Joe Eversole became a retail clerk at Sterling Hardware in 1947. He was a traveling salesman for the company in the 1950s. Joe was the buyer of hardware and mine supplies.
Guyn Haydon went to work in the Shipping Department of Sterling in 1927. He was the Shipping Clerk. He became manager and stayed with the company over 30 years.
Ed Farmer joined the company as a salesman in 1953. He lived in Hyden.